Here you are in your Cook uniform, when you were in the Army, it's an old picture.
It's been too long, since you've been gone.........you were like a Dad to me......in the place of the one who didn't care to be. I was your "girl" and that was it. You worried about me and made sure I had things, when I needed them.
I remember you carrying me on your shoulder, when we'd be walking home from church. Back then you didn't have a car, so we all walked to and from church on Sunday's and Wednesday nights. I'd fall asleep because I was still young and my bedtime, was usually around 7 or 8 o'clock. So, you'd pick me up out of the church pew, and carry me home. You and my grandmother, made sure I was there every time the doors were opened.
I remember how you'd sit up on the square in town, and watch all the people go by, who were shopping. You'd sit there and whittle, on a piece of wood.........it pissed the store owner's off, from the mess, but you didn't care........some times, you'd have a cow horn, that you'd scrap with a broken piece of glass, to get the outside layers of bone, off and make the horn thinner, so it would make a good sound when you finally had it made into a hunting horn. You'd blow it at your "coon hunting dogs", when you wanted them to come in from the hunt. You went "coon hunting" for years, until you got too old to climb up and down the creek banks and follow after the dogs. You always prided yourself in having good hunting dogs, and we'd have to feed them everyday for you. I remember you checking out one of the dog houses, one day.......to see why the dog wouldn't go in it..........you turned it over and there was a whole nest of "bumble bee's". Here they came after you and you grabbed up a plank and was beating them off, but a few still popped you! Now that was a sight to see, you with your big body, moving around like that! You were a robust man, weighting in at 250 pounds or more......so, you didn't move very fast...... but that time you did! :)
I'm so sorry for the way you had to die alone, in that horrible hospital.................and I don't like the way things, happened.................I'll never forget it......
I love you and hope you are walking around up there with Mamaw, and enjoying things.
I miss you and her very much
Kaye
No comments:
Post a Comment