Thursday, November 20, 2008

Big Red......a Stray



Have you ever seen a lost stray cat hanging around your home and wanted to help it? I did that last year, and it seemed for awhile, he was getting better. The poor thing was all beaten up and skinny when I first noticed him coming around for a morsel of food I might throw out to the local animals and birds. As time went by he would come and sit at the back door in the evenings when I was cooking, smelling the aromas from the food, as I prepared them. I would throw him some scraps and leftovers, which he would grab and chow down on. One day during the winter months, he came back all beaten up again. This was bad enough, but he also had a real bad cold, which cats easily get. I tried to get close enough to throw some peroxide on his sores, but even thought he was very weak and sick he still managed to evade me. He came up missing that same day and we've not seen him since. I truly believe he wasn't ablt to live through the cold winter in the shape he was in. I miss him but there's nothing you can do for a stray that won't let you get close to them.

No comments: