Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fish Got Away.........

Is was a rainy day, and sometimes it would stop long enough for us to adjust the lines, or check the bait. Bobby & me loved to fish, and this was something we made a major outing on the weekends. We would go to our favorite spot, that usually was filled with other fishermen and women, set up a small area, and hit the water with our hooks. Many times we would still be there in the evenings, long after many had already left.
This particular day, many of the people got tired of fishing, and not getting many fish. We'd sit there and keep at it. When they'd get ready to leave, they'd offer us the few fish they had on their stringers, and we'd take them. They didn't want to clean one or two. As the day progressed, our stringer became heavier with fish. Bobby, was obsessed with fishing, and so I made me a place to sleep under a make shift tent. I was tired, but he was relentless about the big fish that was caught out there late at night. So, when I finally woke, up here was Bobby all excited telling me about his "big one" on the stringer.......Running over to the place where the stringer was tied, he reached down, grabbed it and began to pull it up out of the water. By now the stringer was extra full of fish from all the one's we had been given. For a second I saw it and then it was gone..........stringer, fish and all..........the thing being so heavy with fish, snapped and gave way........falling back into the lake............oh my, you've never seen such an unhappy guy! It was in April, and he was wanting to jump into the lake to try and find his fish..........the water was still cold, and I wouldn't let him. Bobby, borrowed a treble hook from another fisherman, and proceeded to try and troll the water in the area where it fell. Poor guy, was so let down and sick over the loss of his fish........I don't remember him ever being interested in fishing, again.

No comments: